Saturday, May 21, 2016

Forming an Opportunity Belief

MY BELIEF: I believe that there is an unmet need in Orlando when it comes to planning what attractions tourists will go to while they are in town. This need specifically matches the typical tourist who comes to Orlando without the knowledge of what there is to do. This need has always existed but has grown exponentially in recent years with more and more attractions being opened across town and even outside of Orlando's city limits. I would think that there is a 70% chance this need exists

REFLECT: Both interviews 1 and 2 gave the impression that the unmet need did in fact exist to people who have rarely come to Orlando. There is a need to for knowledge on attractions and transportation between the attractions. Interview 3, however, gave me the impression that there was no need for anyone who has any knowledge of Orlando. The biggest surprise to me was that there are people out there who have no interest in finding out about new attractions that they have never been to before.

SUMMARIZE: I believe my original opportunity belief still exists and that the need exists mainly to new visitors of Orlando. I believe that my belief is just as accurate, but that the prototypical user has changed to someone who has no knowledge of Orlando. I strongly believe that entrepreneurs should adapt their beliefs to fit feedback received because it is ultimately the customers that will decide whether or not they will use the service or good to meet their needs.

Interview 1: https://soundcloud.com/user-443175550/interview-1-final
Interview 2: https://soundcloud.com/user-443175550/interview-2-final
Interview 3: https://soundcloud.com/user-443175550/interview-3-final

7 comments:

  1. Christopher,

    Having worked in Orlando, I know the traffic can be thick and many times confusing for those visiting. The transportation part of the application or website you're thinking about appears to be the best part to me. As for the centralized planning idea, it makes sense to consolidate, but honestly after doing a google search for thirty minutes or an hour you can pretty much plan out an entire trip. The idea of describing which attractions and parks are suitable for certain individuals is solid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea for what it could provide, but am hesitant to think it could work. As Caleb said, if you spend a little time on the internet you could plan your own trip. However, in my experience, you never really know if the hotel you booked is as good as it states it to be. I have found that most times hotels overstate the condition of their rooms. Doing a search of reviews on the hotel you booked often leads to mixed opinions. Therefore, having someone very knowledgeable of each hotel, resort, entertainment spot, etc., would be great! My hesitation comes from the fact that this knowledgeable opinion could be swayed by certain companies providing royalties for recommending them. It’s a mixed bag with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that overall this is a good idea for the Orlando area because there are so many attractions there. Tourists could definitely become overwhelmed if they are not familiar with the area. Although not as worse as Miami, the traffic in Orlando can be just as overwhelming and confusing if one does not know the area. However, a problem I see with this company is how easy it can be just to search up attractions and locations on the internet. What would make your company so much better and make the customers willing to pay for a service that they could just complete themselves in a matter of ten minutes free of charge?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I think this is a great idea. I think the place you are and your location really will be helpful for you to pursue this idea. It's great that your interviews went so well and provided so much feedback. I agree that perhaps, although your idea is great, people can do these things on their own for free. With the internet at our fingertips the whole world is basically in our hands, so having something like this almost seems obsolete. But I think perhaps with some additions this cold really take off and there might be a lot of potential. I can't wait to see how you build your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is so true of any big city that has a lot of tourists! I am not very familiar with all of the services travel agencies or even hotel concierges give to tourists when they visit but I imagine they do give them some insight into what they could do in the city that they are visiting. I think your idea of tailoring the activities to the tourist's specific interests is a great idea and would be taking that service to the next level and increasing the likelihood of tourists leaving happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christopher,

    Being from South Florida, I'm not too familiar with the Orlando area. However, I can only imagine the extensive amount of tourist attractions offered and how overwhelming this may be for those who are new to the area. I'm currently traveling in Asia and my itinerary is planned by research and word of mouth simply because that is my method of choice. Your idea may appeal to those who prefer to plan onsite, so I definitely believe this idea may be successful in some aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Christopher! Having only been to Orlando a couple of times I would definitely be interested in an application to help me find new places to visit. I think your idea could also be expanded to different places as well. Great job on the interviews and the assignment overall!

    ReplyDelete