Sunday, June 12, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1

1) You
 I live in Orlando and have lived here for my entire life. I have a strong passion for tourism because my family had owned a travel agency business for over 40 years in Puerto Rico and in Orlando. I currently am a cast member at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. I have always dreamed of being a mechanical engineer so that I could design and update the rides in the attractions. Because my business venture is heavily based on tourism, I feel like it would be something that I could enjoy doing for years to come. I could see this as a business where I could make some extra money on the side, but would still have to be constantly updated to meet current tourist attractions.

2) What are you offering to customers?
 I feel as though that there is no where for guests to the Orlando area to be able to find information about the attractions they should visit all in one place. My business will create a website and mobile application where people will be able to view every single attraction that is available to visit in Orlando. They will also be able to purchase all the tickets they need in one, easy online interface. The biggest feature of this application will be its ability to tell guests what attractions they should visit and how much time they should spend there based solely on the interests of everyone in the family.

3) Who are you offering it to?
 The customers that will use my application will for the most part be located everywhere outside of Orlando. Most of the people who will use the application will most likely be from outside of the state of Florida. Anyone who has never been to Orlando before will also be a likely customer for the application. It will mainly be designed for people who have never been to Orlando before and have no idea where to start.

4) Why do they care?
 People will pay to use my product because they are choosing to spend large amounts of money on their vacations to Orlando and will want to to make the most of every penny they spend. Time is also a scarce resource for guests to Orlando and the application will help every guest make the most of every second.

5) What are your core competencies? 
 I have lived in Orlando for twenty years and have advanced knowledge about all the attractions and transportation in the area. I have a passion for tourism and planning vacations that not many people have even in the Orlando. This will be an application that will help guests plan vacations based solely on their interests, which can be found through personality tests.

I truly believe that all the components of this business combine together in a beneficial way. Unlike Expedia and Travelocity which focus on flights, hotels, and rental cars, my new software will focus exclusively on the attractions that make Orlando great. Because of my background in tourism, I believe that I could make this venture a success.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, that’s pretty cool how your family background is in tourism and you’re a Magic Kingdom cast member. Regarding your venture, I think it would really save people stress and time planning their vacations to Orlando. It could possibly end up helping the city’s revenue also. One question about the application: how would the personality tests be structured? On a “disagree – agree” spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I like the idea of only doing your venture part time. I see myself starting a possible venture and then selling it off quickly to pursue more of my passions rather then the opportunity. Do you feel the same? I like the idea of your concept to focus on the attractions more so than the logistics. Further, your competencies and your confidence I think are what could make this successful along with the opportunity you see. Like you said you have to set yourself apart from the competition in a unique way to really get people to use it.

    ReplyDelete