Sunday, July 10, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

1) You
 I live in Orlando and have lived here for my entire life. I have a strong passion for tourism because my family had owned a travel agency business for over 40 years in Puerto Rico and in Orlando. I currently am a cast member at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. I have always dreamed of being a mechanical engineer so that I could design and update the rides in the attractions. Because my business venture is heavily based on tourism, I feel like it would be something that I could enjoy doing for years to come. I could see this as a business where I could make some extra money on the side, but would still have to be constantly updated to meet current tourist attractions. I do not think this would be a business that I would sell off to another company unless it was to somehow change my life for the positive.

2) What are you offering to customers?
 I feel as though that there is no where for guests to the Orlando area to be able to find information about the attractions they should visit all in one place. My business will create a website and mobile application where people will be able to view every single attraction that is available to visit in Orlando. They will also be able to purchase all the tickets they need in one, easy online interface. The biggest feature of this application will be its ability to tell guests what attractions they should visit and how much time they should spend there based solely on the interests of everyone in the family. 

3) Who are you offering it to?
 The customers that will use my application will for the most part be located everywhere outside of Orlando. Most of the people who will use the application will most likely be from outside of the state of Florida. Anyone who has never been to Orlando before will also be a likely customer for the application. It will mainly be designed for people who have never been to Orlando before and have no idea where to start.

4) Why do they care?
 People will pay to use my product because they are choosing to spend large amounts of money on their vacations to Orlando and will want to to make the most of every penny they spend. Time is also a scarce resource for guests to Orlando and the application will help every guest make the most of every second. People in Orlando should care about a venture like this because it could raise the revenue of smaller attractions across Orlando and even for the City of Orlando itself.

5) What are your core competencies? 
 I have lived in Orlando for twenty years and have advanced knowledge about all the attractions and transportation in the area. I have a passion for tourism and planning vacations that not many people have even in the Orlando. This will be an application that will help guests plan vacations based solely on their interests, which can be found through personality tests. This will be done through a rating of one to ten on how much they like particular subjects in an interest quiz. This quiz will be what separates my venture from existing companies.

I truly believe that all the components of this business combine together in a beneficial way. Unlike Expedia and Travelocity which focus on flights, hotels, and rental cars, my new software will focus exclusively on the attractions that make Orlando great. This focus on the attraction over logistics will make the website different and unique from websites like Travelocity. Because of my background in tourism, I believe that I could make this venture a success.

Feedback: Most of the feedback I received on the last napkin idea was positive. The two comments I had really only had a few pieces of advice for me to follow. The five main points I took away were:


  • How the interest quiz was going to be setup
  • If I was going to sell or keep the venture
  • How I was going to set myself from the competition
  • The focus on attractions over logistics such as flights and hotels
  • the rise in revenue for smaller attractions and the City of Orlando.
I was able to incorporate this feedback by simply adding some explanations to some of the major points. I really didn't have to change anything; just mainly had to add some extra details.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that all of your points line up with each other fairly smoothly. Having an understanding is very important- which is emphasized by you having lived in the area. This gives you a huge step up compared to someone else with a similar idea but less understanding of the areas. I think the concept of personality tests is also great, because it can give people ideas they didn't even know were an option. Overall I think this is really well done and I look forward to seeing you develop your idea further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, once again, great idea for a business! This could potentially be great for smaller businesses in the Orlando area as a result of externalities from tourism and it could make a family's vacation much more worthwhile.
    I have a couple of questions about the interest / personality test. I think it's an interesting idea. How many questions would the test consist of? Also, what are some examples of "particular subjects" in the interest quiz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    Your family's background in tourism is great and will perhaps be a great resource to utilize when developing your website. I think I would definitely make use of your service (if it's free) if I ever found myself in the Orlando area. In the case that this service is free to use, how do you plan to make a profit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,
    Once again your venture looks pretty solid and you for sure addressed some of the concerns from the previous idea napkin. I like the 1 to 10 questions on the quiz, it is pretty easy and familiar to users and will allow you to accurately predict the best place for their needs. Tourism is huge in Florida and is one of the largest parts of our economy, so their is need for adaption and improvement of the system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    I think you have a great idea that could be marketed to the universe if you wanted to. I think that one thing you could do to improve it is to personalize the quizzes by maybe giving a 5 question pre quiz to get a handle on your customer's personality, age, gender, preferences, and level of income in order to make a better experience that would cater to their needs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete